April 21, 2019
E -77 Egg Freezing with Dr. Sonya Kashyap
This week is National Infertility Awareness Week and Geneviève and Heather are welcoming Fertility Doctor, Dr. Sonya Kashyap from Genesis Fertility Centre, to talk about Egg Freezing.
- Some of the reasons women choose to freeze their eggs.
- Who should freeze their eggs.
- When should we look into freezing our eggs.
- Advances in Egg Freezing and how they affect success rates.
- The cost of Egg Freezing.
April 14, 2019
Episode: E76 - How to Take Care of our Children's Teeth - Parent Talk
Guest(s): Dental Hygienists Shannon Derrick, Manroop Farrero, Sheryl Lee
Today on ParentTalk, Geneviève and Heather are talking with Dental Hygienists Shannon Derrick, Manroop Farrero, and Sheryl Lee to talk about how to take care of our children’s teeth.
• How to brush your children’s teeth and when they can start brushing their own.
• Tips to help with teething.
• Baby Bottle Syndrome.
• As dental professionals, what they recommend to their clients.
April 7, 2019
Episode: E 75- Car Seat Safety with Holly Choi
Guest(s): Car Seat Technician Holly Choi
Today on ParentTalk, Geneviève and Heather are welcoming Car Seat Technician Holly Choi from Safe Beginnings, to talk about Car Seat Safety.
• Why car seat safety is so important.
• How we should select a car seat.
• Is it safe to use a used car seat?
• What happens when a car seat has been in a car accident.
• The safest place to install a car seat.
• Common mistakes people make when installing car seats.
• Switching your car seat from rear facing to front facing.
• The pinch test.
• When to use a booster seat and how long should our child stay in one.
• How to find a car seat technician.
March 31, 2019
Episode: E74 - A Naturopathic Approach to help focus our High-Energy Child
Guest(s): Naturopathic Doctor Sarah Wulkan
Today on ParentTalk, Geneviève and Heather are welcoming Naturopathic Doctor Sarah Wulkan to discuss a Naturopathic Approach to help focus our High-Energy Child.
• My child doesn’t stop moving! Could it be ADHD? What is normal?
• My child was diagnosed with ADHD, what do I do next?
• My child doesn’t have an ADHD diagnosis but he/she is driving us crazy and seems to be disruptive in school, what can I do?
• Conventional treatments for an ADHD diagnosis.
• Natural treatments recommended prior to initiating drug therapy.
March 26, 2019
Welcome to ParentTalk’s REAL MOM MOMENTS!!!
These segments include the "Cute and the Funny" as well as the "Crazy and Frazzled" moments they are experiencing being mothers of young children.
In this episode, Heather shares some exciting news and Genevieve shares some cute and funny moments from the past few weeks.
They are also inviting listeners to participate by sending them stories of their own that they would like to be shared on the podcast.
March 24, 2019
Episode: E72 Struggles with Breastfeeding with Roxanna Farnsworth
Guest(s): Roxanna Farnsworth IBCLC and La Leche League Leader
Today on ParentTalk, Genevieve and Heather are welcoming Roxanna Farnsworth IBCLC and La Leche League Leader, to talk about the Struggles with Breastfeeding.
• Common reasons women struggle with breastfeeding.
• Roxanna’s top tips.
• What parents can do to prepare for breastfeeding during pregnancy.
• One important message Roxanna would like parents to know about breastfeeding.
• Support options for local parents.
• Roxanna’s favourite things about doing this work.
March 17, 2019
Episode: E71 – Snoring and Sleep Apnea
Guest(s): Paul Sweeney, Respiratory Therapist at Coastal Sleep
This week on ParentTalk Genevieve And Heather are welcoming Paul Sweeney, Respiratory Therapist at Coastal Sleep to talk about snoring and sleep apnea.
• Why people snore
• How is snoring related to sleep apnea
• What is sleep apnea
• The signs and symptoms of sleep apnea
• Medical risk of sleep apnea
• Why sleep apnea is more common in pregnant women.
• How to get tested for Sleep Apnea.
• Treatment Options for Sleep Apnea
• Medical condition that make people higher risk for sleep apnea.
March 10, 2019
Episode: E-70 Understanding your Child's Anxiety
Guest(s): Sonja Latifpour, Social Worker and Courtney Nichols, Clinical Counsellor.
Today on ParentTalk, Geneviève and Heather are welcoming Social Worker Sonja Latifpour and Clinical Counsellor Courtney Nichols to talk about how to better understand your child’s anxiety.
• What anxiety looks like in children.
• What is happening in my child’s brain when they are feeling/experiencing worry.
• Common things we as parents may attempt to do to help that may not actually be that helpful.
• Does empathy work as a tool to ease anxiety?
• What is resilience and how can I help my child be more resilient.
• When to seek professional help.
To get Sonja Recommended Booklist contact us at:
March 4, 2019
Episode: E-69 Nutrition for Fertility
Guest(s):Krista Parr, Registered Holistic Nutritionist
Today on ParentTalk, Geneviève and Heather are welcoming Registered Holistic Nutritionist, Krista Parr with ‘Root to Fruit Nutrition’, to talk about Nutrition for Fertility.
• At what point should a woman consider making dietary changes when preparing for pregnancy.
• What are the best foods to focus on for optimal fertility and what should be avoided.
• How important is eating organic for fertility.
• If there are any different nutritional recommendations for women hoping to conceive through IVF.
• What dietary changes men could also be making to support fertility.
February 25, 2019
Episode: E68 - “Daytime Dads”
Guest(s):Joe O’Reily and Stephen Zillwood
Today on ParentTalk, Genevieve and Heather are welcoming two local Dads, Joe O’Reily and Stephen Zillwood, to talk about their personal stories of having the opportunity to be their child’s primary caregiver during the day and what that experience was like.
• The situation that allowed both of them to be home during the day with their children.
• What they liked most about being at home with their children.
• What did they find most challenging.
• With opposite schedules from their partners, how they made time together as a family and as a couple.
• Types of activities they did with their children during the day before they were school aged?
• Their advice for other Dads who are thinking to stay at home with their children.